Sunday, July 5, 2015

An American Winter Experience




Winter , you either love it or hate it . Which are you ? 
For me , I have always been a Winter baby - this could mostly be because I was born in Winter as I will be celebrating my birthday on Tuesday 7th July. I am also one that cannot handle alot of heat , it's so hard - as often at work they have the heat pump and air conditoner going and it's set at 24C and I find myself stripping down to my T-shirt as others are coming in wearing their jumpers etc and saying the sentence I hate the most " Aren't you cold ? ". It's like REALLY , Do you think that I am that stupid - that if I was even the remotely bit cold that I wouldn't put my jumper on ? 


Ever since I was a little girl though, growing up and watching all those American tv shows - my dream was to spend a Winter in America.  Imagine the Snow , sitting in front of  a fireplace all wrapped up and drinking hot chocolate . Very Romanticised thinking there Sherlock .

My wish however did come true , but it wasn't at all how I imagined it. It was freaking freezing yet amazing at the same time , as in December 2013 - which was not only the best time but the worst time of my life. 



The Best part was that I got to go on a trip of a lifetime all around parts of America.  It was an adventure in itself as when we arrived , we learned that America was just starting to have what the majority of the world called "a freak snowstorm" as our first destination was Texas and hello - it doesn't snow in Dallas, Texas - but it did and I had five flights cancelled in a row and then they lost my luggage for six days. How fun. I did however get to experience my first snow and despite the cold - it was fun. 

Eventually, we got the luggage back and started to experience different parts of America in "Wintertime".  San Francisco was amazing - our hotel gave us free hot chocolates with toppings or hot apple cider - never again I made the mistake of drinking it quickly as I burnt the roof of my mouth and my tongue "ouch" . It was quite funny and hard-case in San Fran, as the weather to me felt like a New Zealand Spring/Summer day and here I was in a tshirt and jeans and walking past people who were wearing Ugg Boots and wrapped up in big puffa jackets and scarves/gloves - the whole shebang.


Then we moved on to Boston and I got to experience my first snow falling flurry along with what really "ICE COLD" rain feels like as it started pouring and by the time I got back to the hotel and stripped down - my layers were soaked and my skin was literally bright pink and it was definitely "jump in the showertime". 


Then the final destination was New York , again was very cold in New York - had polypros , and three layers of clothes on and one evening we had popped out to get Pizza Hutt for dinner and we literally only walked like 5 minutes from our Hotel and I felt the first stages of frost bite as my fingers had gone from the feeling of cold to literally burning - and yes , I had left my gloves in my hotel room as I was like Oh, its not that cold but it was .
Winter in America - though its always romanticised in movies, television and in books. It has it's upsides but mostly it's freaking cold and freezing and not that much fun to be honest unless you love being cold and wet.


Here concludes, my Winter post as part of the #NZBloggers Blog Greatness Challenge.

What is your best part of Winter ?










 

No comments:

You Might Like :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...